Casey Anthony breathes free

400 pieces of evidence and several days in jail, yet no concrete evidence. Casey Anthony, the mother who was acquitted of charges for murdering her daughter Caylee, was released just after midnight today from an Orange County jail. Caylee Anthony died in June 2008 and wasn’t reported missing for 33 days. Casey claimed for three years that her daughter was kidnapped by a babysitter.

Her decomposed body was found six months later in a swampy area near the Anthony home.

Casey was escorted out of the jail by two sheriff’s deputies and by her attorney, Jose Baez, without interacting with the media.

“This release had an unusual amount of security so, therefore,  it would not be a normal release,” Orange County Jail spokesman Allen Moore said. “We have made every effort to not provide any special treatment for her. She’s been treated like every other inmate.”

She was released after she was convicted four times of lying to police and a day after she filed an appeal of those convictions. She had been sentenced to four years for lying about her daughter’s death, and was credited after three years on grounds of good behaviour. She was also fined $4000.

Though providing security to her is of main concern, Anthony would not be undergoing plastic surgery as had been rumoured. According to her attorneys, she seems to have received seven death threats including one email photo with a bullet photo-shopped through her head.

“We will not be providing any elaborate security or protection for Casey once she leaves,” Orange County Sheriff Jerry Demings said.

It is a wonder where she would go after her release, considering the fact that she is left with just a few dollars which have been contributed by strangers as donations to her account, and has no family support.

“You have to have someone with you — we call it shadowing — 24/7,” said Clark Pena. “You can’t see people the way you used to, you can’t go out to clubs the way you used to, you can’t — your life has changed 100 percent.”

This has been one of the most interesting social media trials of the century. When defense lawyer Jose Baez put her on the stand, she shocked the courtroom as well as the jurors, saying “I was searching online for ‘chlorophyll’ because I was worried that it might affect my dogs, I was worried about them eating bamboo.”

Prosecutors had also brought to light the web searches for “chest injuries” and “neck breaking,”

Her response to that was that she had been searching about injuries after a friend was in a car crash and she also searched about broken necks when she saw a YouTube video about a skateboarder doing a “neck-breaking stunt.”

Technology has played a vital role in every sphere, but there are some loop-holes which go unseen everywhere. This case too highlights the most glaring weakness in digital forensics. In the sense that, the testimony shocked everyone when it was admitted that the computer used for the searches was in an open room where not only friends but also neighbours were free to use it. This makes it even more difficult to arrive at certain evidences and derive confirmed conclusions.

You may also like:

  • Bookmarked, I really like your blog! 🙂